07 January 2011

Jikan's Office Hour: Dharma Discussion & Coffee

Some sangha members have expressed an interest in meeting to discuss the Buddhist teachings in a less structured context than our usual Wednesday night meetings. I think this is an excellent idea, and would like to give it a try. Hence:

I am calling it Jikan's Office Hour. The format: I will meet with whomever shows up and has an earnest question about Buddhism, and offer whatever help I can, on a first-come, first-served basis. Students, if you are interested in this, please come prepared with at least one good question. It might help to review this thing.

Practically speaking, if only one person is around, then I will work with that person until time is up or I am out of coffee. But I would really prefer to make sure everyone with a question gets heard. The format should be dialogic. If you feel you need to speak with me privately, that can be arranged at another time and in another venue. If you need help understanding something you are reading, please email me in advance what you would like to ask me about, so I can come prepared.

The first Office Hour will be held on Saturday, 15 January, 2011, at this Starbucks coffee shop. The address: 8104A Arlington Blvd, Falls Church, VA 22042. I will be there from about 9:30am until 10:30am or a little after.

Depending on people's interest level, this experiment may become a regular feature of our sangha's program. My intention would be to make it mobile, so that those who can't reach this cafe might be able to find us at another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment