30 September 2013

Contemplation: My Constant Habit

After reviewing the guidelines for practice, take the following as your object of contemplation:
At all times and in any situation,
Mindfulness will be my constant habit.
This will be the cause whereby I aim
To meet with teachers and fulfill the proper tasks.

By all means, then, before I start this work,
That I might have the strength sufficient to the task,
I will reflect upon these words on mindfulness
And lightly rise to what is to be done.

The lichen hanging in the trees wafts to and fro,
Stirred by every breath of wind;
Likewise, all I do will be achieved,
Enlivened by the movements of a joyful heart.
Santideva, The Way of the Bodhisattva, pp. 108-109.

***
Reminder:  Join us Sunday mornings for meditation in Del Ray, Alexandria, VA!


No comments:

Post a Comment